A national campaign warning of the dangers of beauty appliances such as hair straighteners and curling irons is being backed by Fire and Rescue Services around the country.
An estimated 650,000 house fires in the UK have been caused by straighteners or similar electrical devices being left on.
To highlight the issue, Electrical Safety First is launching a new campaign called Pull the Plug. This campaign is to remind people to switch off their beauty appliances after they’ve been used.
Emma Apter, Head of Communications at Electrical Safety First, said: “Straighteners can reach temperatures of more than 235C and can take up to 40 minutes to cool down. Considering that they reach temperatures hotter than a deep fat-fryer, there’s a very high risk of damage or fire if left near flammable materials.
“Our advice is to pull the plug on your appliances: switch them off when you’ve finished using them and leave them to cool on a mat or heat proof surface.”
The message has already been taken up in Hampshire as part of a community safety programme, with the service warning “The dangers of leaving appliances such as straighteners on are stark. Fire safety might not immediately spring to mind during a beauty routine, but it’s vital that people remember to take care as they get ready to go out.” Further details at Electrical Safety First