Faulty electricals cause one fire a day in London, says the local fire service.
The figures were highlighted by London Fire Brigade which said that white goods - including fridges, freezers, dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers - account for over 300 fires each year. In 89% of these incidents, the cause was a fault in the appliance or its electrical supply.
According to Office of National Statistics figures, nationally there are over 100 million large appliances in use in our homes and we keep them a very long time. However, a consumer survey by Electrical Safety First found that less than half of consumers (only 47%) registered the last product they bought.
To overcome safety fears, London Fire Brigade urged people register their new appliances and not forget older appliances they may have in their kitchens.
London Fire Brigade Assistant Commissioner for Fire Safety Neil Orbell said "To help protect their homes and families everyone should put registering electrical appliances at the top of their to-do list.
"On the register my appliance website most manufacturers offer registration of large white goods that are up to 12 years old and keying in details of both old and new appliances is time well spent."
The register my appliance website provides quick and easy access to the registration pages of 62 leading brands.