A Facebook post has gone viral after warning of the dangers of illegal electrical plugs fitted to popular Christmas presents.
Jim Perry wrote the post, which was accompanied by a picture of one of the offending plugs, saying that he hoped his advice 'might just save someone you love'. It has since received almost 10,000 likes and has been shared more than 20,000 times.
Jim pointed out the faults with the plug and how they were illegal. He said: “There is no fuse fitted to the plug which offers no protection against shorting out or overheating, secondly the pins are too close to the outer case which could possibly electrocute you if removing from a socket, and finally you can see how the earth pin is partially sheathed (the top one) this offers next to no earth connection at all.”
He also explained that although the plugs come with a CE Mark on them, this is not a sign of conformity to the British electrical regulations, as all plugs being used in Britain must have the British Standards Mark BS1363 printed on them.
Jim’s final advice was to cut off the plugs without the BS1363 mark and fit a new plug with the relevant sized fuse. The full story is here
Sign up to our Newsletter.
Stay up to date with the latest industry and product news, as well as our free educational content such as webinars and our expert guides.